Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Help Line: You'll want to click it and clear it

Q: My operating system is Windows XP Professional (SP2). As you know, when you click on the Start button, a number of items come up, such as My Documents, My Recent Documents, etc. I would like to periodically clear all items from the My Recent Documents section. At the moment, I can only do it one item at a time, is there a way to clear them all at once?

A: The solution to your problem, while not obvious, is rather simple. Just right-click the Start button and a menu will appear. Select "Properties" and then click "Customize." Under the Advanced tab you will find a section called "Recent Documents." Click "Clear List" and then "OK" and "OK" again.

This will remove all the recently used documents from the My Recent Documents folder.

Don't worry. This does not actually delete the documents themselves.

Q: The first time I open Outlook Express after I boot my PC, my incoming mail server is set to an IP address I don't recognize and not to the host name of my mail server. This causes an error to occur when Outlook Express looks for my e-mail. Can you help?

A: It sounds like you may have installed some kind of anti-spam software. There are programs that act as a go-between on your computer to filter out unwanted e-mail before you view it.

When you install them they are configured with information for your e-mail account, specifically your incoming mail server and your e-mail account name and password.

Once they are configured, your e-mail client is set to connect to what is called the local host or your computer for the incoming e-mail.

The software responds as the incoming mail server and filters the mail before you download it.

If you removed this software or if it is malfunctioning, it could cause this problem.

Q: I am trying to reach a specific Web site, but I keep getting a "page not found" error. In my research I did an nslookup on the host and found that I am not getting the correct IP address. My second computer has the same TCP/IP settings and it can reach this site without a problem. Do you have any suggestions?

A: Whenever you type in a Web site, your computer queries a Domain Name Service server to acquire or resolve the IP address of the site.

Windows XP and Windows 2000 both use what is known as a DNS resolver cache for domain names. When your system succeeds or fails to get an IP address for a domain or host, it is stored in this cache. This cache also stores any information in your host's file.

This cache reduces the number of times your computer needs to query a remote DNS server to resolve a domain name and speeds up access.

Sometimes this cache gets corrupted and needs to be manually cleared. Open a command prompt and type "ipconfig /displaydns" and you will see all the domain and host names your cache has stored. To clear the cache type "ipconfig /flushdns." Once you flush the DNS cache, your system will query the DNS server and get the correct IP address.
HoustonChronicle.com - Help Line: You'll want to click it and clear it

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?